Sunday 23 April 2017

A Discovery (Tracey Moffat)

It was by chance that I stumbled upon SAM (the Shepparton Art Museum) on the 5th of March. I had no plans of visiting the Tracey Moffat exhibition that day, or SAM in general. I hadn't put much research into finding where it was located, or the fact that my designated morning activity was supposed to be there. My morning, due to the five day WiA schedule, should have been spent in the Community Textiles Workshop. However, the workshop had either been cancelled or never properly scheduled, and I never truly found out why.
     On my way out, after an embarrassing encounter in which I was sent to the wrong room for the supposed workshop, I came upon an area, multiple rooms, with montages playing on loops. It was eerie, walking around by myself. It was hard to understand what any of the montages truly meant without reading the panels beside them, but that just added to the magic of it all. At that point, I had forgotten about the art festival, and I had forgotten about my responsibilities of being a journalist and recording notes. Instead, I stood there, in a serene and cool environment being entertained by something I wouldn't normally have stopped to watch. In contrast to my pessimistic preliminary thoughts, I had found myself enjoying art and understanding it as much more than what was on the surface layer.

No comments:

Post a Comment