Monday 24 April 2017

It's a Wrap

I awoke on March the 19th feeling unmotivated. It was the last day of the Shepparton Festival, and also the day of the slam poetry workshop. Out of all the events, it had been the one that I was most excited for, yet I still played the zombie as I got out of bed. I was stuck in a rut, a mixture of laziness and the uncertainty of whether or not I was truly enjoying myself at the festival. However, I knew deep down that I needed to go, to receive further guidance in the development of my craft.
     It was back to the Aussie Hotel, this time taking place inside. Finally, I was able to escape the heat and remain in a semi-cooled room. Pen at hand, I started noting down whatever advice that Joel McKerrow, the workshop leader, gave us. Each word he spouted was brilliant. And even though I knew that I would never be a poet, I still felt that the advice given would empower my writing. Instead of dwelling on trying to write a good story, I needed to stop, and instead I needed to just write; my desire to write something great would be my downfall, I discovered, and my self-restriction would need to change. The information, the thoughts, simply needed to be dumped on the page no matter how it sounded.
   And with that, a fantastic workshop, my time at the festival came to a close.
   



'The five senses: the dump, the poem, the edit, the performing, the memorising.' 
     

No comments:

Post a Comment