Saturday 22 April 2017

An Introvert and a Map (Opening Ceremony)

I was nervous on my way to the Aussie Hotel, travelling about an hour along ruined roads to reach the Opening Ceremony. I didn't exactly know what to expect, sure there would be new students, as with any class, but I felt as though my preliminary thoughts had already decided that I would be the outsider. I hoped that my lack of interest in art wouldn't show in front of my peers. Truthfully, I had never actually heard of the Shepparton Festival before entering the Writers in Action subject, so my expectations weren't met, neither in a positive or negative way, as I entered the outside courtyard of the hotel.
     The heat from the lowering sun followed me into the courtyard, and it only took a few moments after sitting down before I felt my back drenched in sweat. I arrived early, so I was given the opportunity to watch as people poured in and turned their attention to the cartons that adorned the wall beside me. It was strange, but impressive. Sean Rafferty's Cartonography, an abstract map made from cartons, sourced from Shepparton and its surrounding region. It was great to watch, local people pointing and talking, relating themselves to something that could only be deemed a masterpiece.
     The courtyard filled quickly and speeches were underway. With each speech given, my mind would turn and react as if the presenters were the catalyst to my thought process. Suddenly, with every word, I would begin to understand. The Shepparton festival, with its theme of mapping and display of art, was less about the art itself, and more about the passionate, diverse, and multicultural community. 

No comments:

Post a Comment